Paws for a Cause & The Long Run that Almost Wasn’t…

What an amazing weekend! It was the first weekend that Brad and I both have been in town since August and it was full of plans and full of fun!

I kicked it off Friday afternoon with a 2000 m swim at Sportsclub. It felt great to swim  and most definitely reconfirmed that I need to commit to my goal of swimming once a week during running season.

After a quick shower, Brad and I headed over to Phil’s house where all of our triathlete friends (and their spouses) gathered to celebrate our big accomplishments this summer. We had tons of firsts in the group, including first-time Ironman, 70.3 and Olympic Distance finishers. It was a fun night of celebrating and was highlighted by my co-workers (and running friends), Amy and Neal’s, appearance with 6 week old baby Owen! It was the first time we have seen them since the baby was born. He is definitely a runner in the making with long, lean limbs and huge feet!

Saturday morning, I originally had planned to get up and do my long run, but it was going to be much cooler (in the 40’s overnight & high in the 60’s) so when Char teased that she might be up for some miles later in the day, I decided to put it off. So instead Saturday started with some cuddling with the pups before we headed out to Paws for a Cause .

It was a 1-mile dog walk to raise money for American Cancer Society. We saw a flyer a while back and thought this would be a fun way to for us to participate in a great cause with the boys and some friends!

Mike, Heather and Bailey also met up with us to join in the fun!

I know the pics are a little blurry, but we were walking fast! 🙂

See all the people and dogs?! It was packed! After the walk, we checked out all the booths and picked up some toys (and treats!) and watched the police dogs do a demonstration. The boys were very well behaved!

It was a fun event and definitely a great way to spend a Saturday morning!

Saturday afternoon Brad went golfing and I heard back from Char that her cold was still full force and keeping her on the sidelines from running. Since my IT Band had been a little sore after a short 4-miler on Thursday, I decided that a ton of stretching and foam rolling, along with running errands and cleaning the car, was a better way to spend the afternoon than a long run. I also might have gone shopping and bought a new pair of skinny jeans and two new tops 🙂

Saturday night brought on yet another fun-filled party! My co-worker Bob and his wife, Mary, have a big Octoberfest party at their house every fall. They lived in Germany (along with many of my other co-workers) for over 5 years, so we celebrate everyone’s time there by drinking German beer and wine and eating all kinds of German foods! Unfortunately I didn’t get any pictures, but we had a blast catching up and talking with friends and co-workers. It was a cool evening, but once they had the fire pit going and the beer flowing, we stayed plenty warm!

Sunday morning, we didn’t get out of bed until 11:00!!! It felt great to sleep in, even though we were up with the pups several times before we actually got out of bed. Soon after we got up, Brad took off to watch football at Carolina Ale House while I stayed home and contemplated my long run. Char texted and said she was choosing a short bike ride over running a few miles, so I was on my own.

Unsure how my ITB would react, I set out prepared for a long run (water, Gu, Stingers), but really only expected to get 4-5 miles in. It was 65* out and while it was cool for 1 p.m., it was still warm in the sun. I was elated after the first mile to find out that everything felt good (including my right ITB) and decided pretty quickly that I would go at least 10 miles. I headed out on my favorite 10-mile route, knowing I could stop at Ale House and get a ride home if need be or add on at the end if I felt like it. Once I got to mile 8, I felt pretty good and re-set the goal to 12, but around mile 10, I was out of water, hot and ready to be done. So I finished up with a total of 11 miles and was super proud of myself! I had pretty much written off the long run for the week and was thinking I would have some major mileage jumps over the next few weeks to get back on schedule.

The goal was marathon pace + 45 seconds (9:08 min/mile) and I was slightly faster than that with an average pace of 8:56 min/mile.

After I finished, I stretched really well, foam rolled and took an ice bath.

I guess most of the ice had melted by the time I took the picture. It was plenty cold though. Trust me. See the hairy things on the side of the tub? Yeah, the boys were really curious what was going on here.

No surprise that the Gorilla Dog was mostly just interested in drinking the cold water. Ernie tried to copy his brother and get a drink of water too…

But you notice how wet his paws are right?! Since he is just a little rugrat, he fell in when he was leaning over. So then he was checking out the faucet trying to figure out why the darn water was SO COLD!

The ice bath did me good 🙂 Although 11 miles isn’t super long, I am still recovering from Augusta 70.3 and I most definitely do not want to go into marathon training with any injuries!

We ended the awesome weekend by making (healthy) homemade hot wings and salad for our friend Ross who came over for dinner.

Life is good 🙂

About Corey

I am a 30-something swim, bike, run addict married to my best friend and in love with my two schnoodle doggies.
This entry was posted in friends, Greenville, running, the boys, training, walter, weekend fun. Bookmark the permalink.

Tell me what you think!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s