Remember when I posted my 2012 racing calendar and said I was going to race once a month this year? Well, so far that isn’t really shaping up as planned. Of course, I definitely got my January race in Houston. But then in February I was only in town two weekends and couldn’t find a race within an hour drive on either of those weekends. Don’t get me wrong, I am not opposed to driving multiple hours to race, but I just didn’t see the point in driving 2 hours for a 5k. And actually I would have even done that, if I was going to get to meet up with Lindsey, but her stress fractures sidelined her running for a few months.
So that brings us to March, where the only race I have on the schedule is this 1/2 marathon. Well, now that race is 2 days away and I have a dilemma…
My cousin Lisa and her boyfriend Alex are coming to town this weekend to visit. Woohoo! Yes, this is the same cousin Lisa that ran the Houston Marathon with me less than 2 months ago!
So this seems like a no-brainer right? Lisa is a runner (and so is Alex), so surely they will want to fly all the way to Greenville and run 13.1 miles with me on Saturday morning, right?! Well, this is kind of how that exchange went…
Obviously I tried to play it cool, even though I really want to race 🙂 But seriously, I didn’t want to put too much pressure on her…she is my guest after all! I could very clearly tell from her response that she wasn’t interested. Sooo…now what?
Even if I don’t have my guests as running buddies, I could still get up and go race Saturday morning. The start is only 15 minutes from my house and the finish is 5 minutes from my house, so they could all sleep in and come watch me finish or just meet me for breakfast after. OR I could enjoy their company with a fun dinner and wine on Friday night and have a casual, lazy Saturday morning with dog parks and pancakes as the primary agenda.
And no one will think I am psycho…
In making the decision, there are a few important things to note:
- I have not yet registered for the race.
- I am checking into whether there is race day registration, which I am almost positive will be the case, since it is a small race and there is race-day packet pick-up at the start. This will leave me the option to decide upon my head hitting the pillow Friday night.
- I find it really hard to turn down a half marathon that is right here in Greenville! This is one of two 1/2’s in Greenville proper and it is an inaugural event.
- This is course profile:Kind of like we don’t have many races, we also don’t have ANY “flat” races.
- It is a point-to-point race. I have always wanted to do a point-to-point race.
- I will have to drive my car out to the start and go pick it up later because all of the shuttles are full.
- I have been running about 20 miles a week since the marathon in January, but the furthest I have been since January 15th is 10-miles. I have done some form of speed work every week and have run some medium distance (6-8 miles) tempos. Regardless, the distance will be painful.
- After this weekend, I am gone every other weekend in March, except next Saturday, where my only racing option is a 5k.
So, does anyone want to help me make the decision? If it were you, what would you do?
Of course, I will keep you updated on the decision and might even have a race report to share 😉