I thought coming into these two weeks, that they would be tough to get in good workouts. I spent the whole first week in Peoria for some pretty intense training and didn’t have my normal access to a bike/pool/gym. Then we left on Wednesday of the second week for Cancun, and I knew I wouldn’t be able to run outside and wasn’t sure going in what the gym would be like. Surprisingly, I probably had two of the best weeks of workouts that I have had in a while! The great thing about vacation is that you have all the time in the world to do what you want, so I was able to get great workouts in every day!
March 12 – 18
- Monday – Easy 5 mile run (8:51 min/mile). I didn’t look at my watch at all except around mile 3 to see how far I had been. It was awesome because my first mile was 9:35 and my last mile was 8:17! And I didn’t feel like my effort changed at all. I was a little more stiff after Saturday’s race than I thought, so this was a good effort to shake things out a little.
- Tuesday – Early morning swim – 2000 yds. – I pushed harder than I normally do on my own, but still missed my Master’s Swim group.
- Wednesday – 5:30 a.m. Body Attack at Gold’s Gym- Yay!! It’s back in my life, even if not at my gym at home!
- Thursday – 6 miles speed work – 3×1 mile repeats w/0.5 mile rest: 7:11, 7:09, 7:04 – I wanted to keep it between my 5k and 10k pace and thought that would be challenging but not crazy hard, but these were TOUGH. I have no idea why I felt the need to push myself so hard when I am not really training for anything, but sometimes it just feels good to accomplish a tough workout.
- Friday –
5:30 a.m. spinOFF…decided to take a rest day, in anticipation of a big weekend of workouts! It was the right decision!
- Saturday – Swim, Bike, Run – (2100 yds, 26 miles, 31 minutes/3.5 miles)
- Sunday – Brick: 22 mile bike, including climbing Paris Mountain + 2 mile run (8:30 min/mile)
- Run = 16.5 miles
- Swim = 4100 yds.
- Bike = 48 miles (that’s a big week these days!)
March 19 – 25
- Monday – 5:30 a.m. Master’s swim – 2500 yds + p.m. Upstate Tri Club Speed Workout (4.30 miles) – we tried a different group speed session this week, but unfortunately, only one other person (in addition to myself and 2 friends) showed up for the workout. With the urging of the other guy that came, Dave, we decided to do 4×800’s, although we were feeling sluggish and it was HOT (85*)! 3:17, 3:19, 3:17, 3:20
- Tuesday – Early morning bike w/Char – 18.6 miles (15.3 mph) – loving pre-work rides!
- Wednesday – 7.84 mile run w/Char (8:33 min/mile)
- Thursday – 35 minutes elliptical + Tone-it Up Bikini Maxx Workout, courtesy of Amanda (total 2.5 miles running)
- Friday – 6 mile DREADMILL run w/3 miles @ 7:47 tempo pace. Overall avg. 8:20 min/mile. I was absolutely dreading the treadmill workout, but I watched Shawshank Redemption on my iPad (love that movie) and sweated like crazy and the time went by pretty quickly. But definitely don’t expect to see me on the treadmill again for another 2 years…
- Saturday – 30 minutes elliptical + 20 minutes stationary bike – planned to do some weights too, but just didn’t feel like it so I stayed on the machines and took it easy!
- Sunday – OFF – Travel back from Cancun
- Run = 20.64 miles (hit the goal!)
- Swim = 2500 yds.
- Bike = 18.6 miles
Cancun recap coming soon!