Taking Recovery Seriously

First, I hope no one is here because you think I am going to actually tell you “How to Recover from an Endurance Event.” Because I am not. I am not an expert at anything, so you won’t see many of those kinds of posts here (and actually it is a huge pet peeve of mine when people {i.e. bloggers} tell others “How to…” do something, as if they are an expert.**)

**Don’t get me wrong…I have nothing against a blogger sharing “What works for me…”, but we all know that is not always how these posts are worded.

/end rant.

Wow…that took a whole different direction today. Focus.

What I do want to tell you about is how I spent my first weekend free from the ball-and-chain of 70.3 training.

It started with a leisurely wake-up call of nearly 8 a.m. (I know…so late, huh?). I got run-ready then ran 2 miles into the park. I got there just in time to see the lead runners of the Sphinx Run Fest 1/2 Marathon pass by and cheered my head off for all of the runners until I saw this cute girl:

That’s my good friend Heather and she was cruising into mile 4 of her 2nd half marathon. I jumped in with her and paced her kept her company (and was her Nuun sherpa) until she turned into the Greenville Drive baseball stadium, to complete the last .2 miles of the race. The first 8+ miles of this course are all downhill or flat and then once the hills start, they just keep coming. It was a tough day, but Heather PR’d by over a minute (2:09:15) on a challenging and hilly course. In the last mile, as she was getting discouraged, we talked about how every race is a learning experience and even though they don’t always go as planned, they make us stronger. (Someone remind me of my own words next time I don’t have a good run!) Heather has definitely been bitten by the running bug…she texted me last night that she signed up for Kiawah as a little redemption race. (Clearly, I am a really good influence).

After the race, I showered and got ready in 0.5 seconds before heading out to my friend, Suzanne’s, baby shower. Obviously, I am much more competent at the “race-thing” than the “baby-thing” because despite being 30 minutes late to the shower, I spent 15 minutes standing in the aisle at Publix trying to figure out what kind of diapers to buy.

Thankfully I survived the baby shower (there were cupcakes!) so that I could get back to something I am competent at again…

Shortly after I got home, we were off with our friends, Char and Jesse, to Thomas Creek Brewery for their annual Halloween party. This is our only local brewery and some people aren’t huge fans, but I really like a few of their beers. Plus it is a really good deal, for $15 it is all you can drink and eat (BBQ) and they have all of their beers on tap.

With Char

We are lame and didn’t have costumes, but our friend, Kim, and her husband, Will, had AMAZING costumes.

They were a “Segway Tour”. You can’t tell from the picture, but they made their “Segways” and they actually rolled! (Those are fake legs on the front so they could walk/scoot around). They got 2nd place in the costume contest!

We didn’t eat there, but I tried the Stillwater Vanilla Cream Ale (my favorite), the Dockside Pilsner, River Falls Red Ale (another fave) and the Banana Split Chocolate Stout (eww…WAY too strong & sweet).

Of course, as always, Brad was happy to be hanging out with me.

Or maybe he wishes I was off riding my bike…

Around 5, we left to go meet Heather and her husband, Mike, downtown for dinner. The 6 of us hang out a lot (we all went to Italy together in 2011!) and it is so much fun just being with really good friends. Heather, Char and I shared a bottle of wine at dinner and we were all a little giggly, but getting tired by the time we finished.

We planned to make a night out of seeing more Halloween costumes, but after one more beer and some football and baseball watching at Ale House, we decided to call it a night.

Sunday, Brad and I used a rare day with nothing going on to go to Charlotte for the day and do a little shopping. I can’t say that I really racked up a bunch of stuff like I thought I would, but I got a few things (including my very first yoga mat!) that I am excited about.

So, that my friends, is how I chose to recover this weekend. In addition to not having to spend 5+ hours training over the two days, it was also really nice to not worry about what I was eating, drinking or how much I was sleeping for a change.

About Corey

I am a 30-something swim, bike, run addict married to my best friend and in love with my two schnoodle doggies.
This entry was posted in Food, friends, Greenville, parties, Races, running, weekend fun. Bookmark the permalink.

3 Responses to Taking Recovery Seriously

  1. You definitely earned that break! Both physically and mentally. Yay for a new yoga mat- I recently got my first one, too!

  2. Steph says:

    I recognize that restaurant! I spend alot of time there =) Sounds like a fun weekend!

  3. Pingback: Woofstock 2012 |

Tell me what you think!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s