A Change in Plans

As you all know, only hours after I posted my updated race schedule and talked about how excited I was to go to NYC this weekend, the city was devastated by Hurricane Sandy.  With all of the hurricane talk in the days leading up to its landfall on Monday, I was definitely hoping that it was an Irene-type scare (from 2011) and that the city would emerge unscathed. After growing up on the Gulf Coast, with my parents and family all still living there, I don’t ever wish the horror that even a small hurricane can bring upon anyone or any city.

And selfishly, I was also hoping that the marathon events for the weekend (including my trip) would continue as scheduled.

Since the day I booked my trip, I have been counting down the days till going back to NYC (a city that I am in love with), reuniting with friends and experiencing what its like to be a part of (even if only as a spectator) the biggest marathon in the world. And it made me incredibly sad to think the trip might not happen.

But I am not going to New York City this weekend.

Will there be a marathon? Yes, as of now it looks like there will. Will my flight go to NYC as scheduled? Probably. (Appropriately, as I posted this, I got an email notification telling me it was time to check-in).

But there are so many other reasons that it doesn’t make sense for Molly and I to go to NYC this weekend. Just a few of those reasons include that Jocelyn doesn’t have power or water in her apartment and probably won’t until Saturday. The subways won’t be fully operational until at least Saturday and there is definitely no guarantee that there would be transportation from the airport to Manhattan on Friday morning. And finally, we aren’t running the marathon. If I were running, I would almost definitely be planning to get to that start line, but I am not and the last thing I want to do is add any additional stress to Jocelyn or any other friends by being there.

Between now and Sunday, I will be thinking about and praying for all of those who lost their loved ones, homes and entire lives to this storm. Then on Sunday morning, I will {virtually} cheer my heart out for my friends who are running. I will watch the coverage live on NBC and I am sure I will be wishing I was there in person. I will also be hoping that going forward with the marathon in this difficult time was the right decision and that it truly does pull the city together and give hope, or at least a distraction, to those that may not be able to find it elsewhere.

And just like I would attempt to cure post-race depression by registering for another race, I attempted to cure post-cancelled trip sadness, by registering for a local 5K on Saturday. Of course, it won’t compare to running 3.1 miles through the streets of Manhattan and Central Park as planned, but no NYC 5k doesn’t mean no 5k at all.

And rest assured, Molly and I WILL be going to NYC to visit. It will just have to be another weekend.

About Corey

I am a 30-something swim, bike, run addict married to my best friend and in love with my two schnoodle doggies.
This entry was posted in friends, Greenville, life, Races, running, Travel, weekend fun. Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to A Change in Plans

  1. Ricole Runs says:

    So sad for you Corey. And the city (obviously). But can your next NYC trip include me??!!! 🙂

  2. Terzah says:

    I know this was a hard decision, but it sounds like the right one for you. Signing up for a local 5K–definitely the right thing to do instead! I hope it’s fun! NYC always bounces back and it will be there when you guys can go.

  3. Jaclyn says:

    Agree, think its the right decision. Tough one!

  4. i think i tweeted you this yesterday but i’m proud of you and molly for your decision. the city is going to be struggling to handle the influx of runners alone. i know spectators make this race what it is, but i also know if i was running, i would be more than slightly (even if it’s unjustified) annoyed if a nonrunner was taking up room on a flight or other mode of transportation that i needed to be on. i also appreciate y’all not wanting at add stress to jocelyn’s life right now. i so wish i had a way to get up there and help her (and all the others)…cheers to a fast local 5K!

  5. Lauren says:

    I’m so sorry Corey. For partially selfish reasons, since I was really looking forward to seeing you and Molly, but also because I know how much you were looking forward to this trip. I completely understand your decision, though. I know how tough it was for you to back out, but I also know this was the right thing to do. Let me know when you decide to re-schedule your trip to NYC — maybe I can also make a trip down the same weekend!

    • Corey says:

      Thanks Lauren. I am so sad not to get to you see you this weekend! I hope that you have a fun weekend and an AWESOME race. I hope that you get to enjoy EVERYTHING about being in NYC, seeing friends and running and that nothing that happened takes away from that!! We will definitely try to pick a good weekend to go back…maybe around another race or event or something?

  6. Holly says:

    There are so many mixed emotions and feelings in regards to the NYC marathon, but I know you made the right {tough} decision for you! I do hope and pray the marathon is a positive, moral building experience for the city and I will be joining you in praying and cheering this Sunday! Good luck on your run!!!!

  7. Definitely sounds like the right decision! It’s crazy how hard NYC was hit. I’m glad you can still race- I’ll be thinking of you!

  8. Carrie says:

    I think you’re making a wise decision, Corey. (I meant to send you an email yesterday when I found out the 5-K was canceled, but I totally forgot; glad you’re on top of it!) I’m still without power, too, so it is a relief of sorts that the 5-K won’t be happening. I’m hoping to make it up to Central Park to cheer on the runners, but we’ll have to wait and see if the subways are working. Good luck at your local race this weekend! 🙂

  9. elizabeth says:

    i know the decision sucked, but it was the right thing at the right time, and it all seemed to work out. besides, maybe a non running trip will be more fun. 🙂 trying to find a silver lining…

  10. Pingback: Lungs 4 Life 5k |

  11. Jocelyn says:

    So sad you couldn’t make it last weekend!! Definitely need to reschedule for this Spring. I MISS YOU. LET’S DRINK SOME WINE.

  12. Pingback: Good News & Bad News |

  13. Pingback: To Race or Not to Race? |

Tell me what you think!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s