Happy 2013!! I have finally rejoined the real world after a fantastic couple of weeks of vacation! I was on and off Twitter the last couple of weeks, but mostly was snowboarding, hanging with Brad and his family and loving on my nieces and nephews. Mainly because this was already drafted, I am back to blogging with my obligatory 2012 goals recap (which is more for me than anyone else), but will show you a little of how the last couple of weeks went soon! (Although my picture taking was as limited as my social media participation, so maybe not?!)
2012 was a great year with PR’s (in every distance) and many, many other awesome things in running and life. It was also a year where I decided that I am ready to set running goals and go after them, instead of just training and seeing what happens! More of that to come in 2013, but for now let’s take a look at how it all went down…
- Execute my marathon race plan and run a 3:40 marathon. Nope. 3:43:59 in Houston. Bring it on Eugene – going for broke in 2013!
- Race at least once a month. Check. Raced 14 times.
- Run Faster:
- Sub 1:44 13.1: Check. 1:41:00.
- Sub 45 10k: Check. 43:53.
- Sub 36 8k: Nope. Didn’t race the distance.
- Sub 21 5k: Check. 20:46.
- Consistent Weekly Mileage. Run at least 20 miles/week and log at least 1000 miles – Check. 1240 miles.
- Ride Faster. 20+ mph in races – Check. Early in the season, this was a little inconsistent, but at B2B, I was exactly 20 mph. Huge improvement!
- Pile on Miles on the Bike. ride 1900+ miles. – Check! 2,604 miles.
- Swim at least once a week. surpass 100,000 yds. – Check. 122,285 yds.
- Strength train, do abs & complete “other” workouts. I will strength train and do abs no less than once a week. Check. I was inconsistent during B2B training, but in the first few months and especially in the last few months of the year, I have this down! I am lifting twice a week – once upper body and once lower body.
- Do Yoga. BIG.FAT.CHECK. Not only did I do it a few times, but in the last 2+ months, it has become a twice-weekly part of my routine that I LOVE!
- Eat 7 – 10 Fruits & Veggies a Day. meh. Kinda. When we are home and not traveling yes, always. When I am on the road, still haven’t convinced myself that a salad is the right choice at meals.
- Nurture the blog. meh. Kinda. Have some ideas for 2013. Maybe. Still debating.
- Stay in Touch. Yes and No. I have stayed in fantastic touch with some of the newer friends I have made in the last year, but still not doing a good job of keeping up with my long-time friends.
- Quit obsessing over what others think. Yes and No. I am destined to care what others think. It is something that I will always need to work on (but also not one of the worst faults I could have, I guess). One thing I have been really good at lately, though, is pushing negative thoughts out of my head. In the past, I have dwelled on things I said and what someone may or may not have thought about it. It meant I spent too much time thinking about things that I couldn’t change or control. I am now conscious of this and imagine myself physically pushing those thoughts aside and replacing them with something happy or positive. This is something we learned in a personal leadership class at work and I feel like it really helps me.
- PR 70.3 in October. CHECK! 5:07:40
- Have the time of my life at Hood to Coast. CHECK! Above and beyond one of the best experiences ever.
- Balance. Check. See my post about it!