Cold & A Little Bit Crazy

Last week I was in Peoria, IL for work. When I arrived Monday evening, it was a whopping 5 degrees outside. Since it had been 60+ that day in Greenville, needless to say it was a bit of a shock.

But as most of you know, despite the weather, marathon training must go on.


I may have mentioned it before, but I despise the treadmill. There is almost no weather that will confine me to running on a hamster wheel feeling like I am working WAY harder than I should be to run a 9:00 mile. BUT since I had to be at work at 7 a.m. Tuesday and the weather at 5 a.m. was going to be 3*, I didn’t really see any other option than to head to the gym. I did my 5-mile recovery run while (finally) watching the last episode of Gossip Girl. And guess what? It wasn’t that bad. The time actually went by fast and my nice, easy 9:20 avg. felt like it should…recovery. 

But Wednesday morning I had 9 miles on the schedule with 5 miles at tempo pace. I knew there was no way I would survive that run on the ‘mill so Tuesday evening, between work and dinner I made a quick stop at Dick’s to find some sort of face cover to run with. Per my friend Molly‘s advice, I bought a balaclava (which is obviously different than baklava, the yummy Turkish pastry…despite my original interpretation)


Robbing a bank or going for a run?

It was a freezing 14* when I started my run Wednesday morning, but other than my upper legs, where I only was wearing one layer, I was pretty comfortable for most of the run. And apparently cold temps are where I run best…which is likely because the faster I run, the warmer I am!

So that’s the “cold” (all relative, right?I am sure some of you may think those temps are nothing!). Here is where the crazy part comes in…

A few weeks ago was my 3rd wedding anniversary, and to celebrate, this weekend we went to The Grove Park Inn in Asheville, NC for a little getaway. Because I wanted to spend the whole weekend with Brad and not have to peel myself out of bed early to run 16 miles, I decided to do my long run Friday morning. Doing a weekday long run isn’t normally a big deal, except I had to be ready BY 7:25 a.m. to make it to my 8 o’clock meeting on time. This meant that to get in 16-miles, I would have to start at 4:15.

I don’t know about y’all but that’s basically the middle of the night for me. Yes, I am an early morning runner, but 5 a.m. is usually where I draw the line. But Friday at 4, I was up and getting ready to run. When I headed out, there was a dusting of snow on the ground and flurries still coming down. It was a little warmer (around 19*) but windy and despite one of my water bottles freezing shut and having to chew my Gu, the run was fantastic. I loved seeing the snowflakes sparkle in my headlamp and how my Nuun turned into a fruit punch slushy. For most of the run, the streets were quiet and I just silently chased the light from my headlamp around the streets of Brad’s hometown (where I stay when I travel there).

I am not saying that I will make this a habit, but it was definitely worth the ridiculously early wake-up call to get the long run done and relax for the rest of the weekend. I am sure as this training cycle progresses, I will do many other things that most people would consider “crazy” to get my miles in and still manage work and life. But on April 28th, I am hoping that every freezing cold run and early morning wake-up call is 100% worth it.

About Corey

I am a 30-something swim, bike, run addict married to my best friend and in love with my two schnoodle doggies.
This entry was posted in Greenville, running, training, work travel, workout clothes. Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Cold & A Little Bit Crazy

  1. Holly says:

    you are a machine! great job getting those runs done while traveling and freezing! i agree that i run better in cold weather, but it’s truly a mental battle to get myself out the door to get started! cheers to magic in Eugene in April…(and NOLA in 4 weeks…eeek!)

  2. Jodi says:

    Oh man, the only thing I want to see at 4:15am is my pillow!

  3. Wow- I don’t think I’ve ever gotten up at 4am to run, not even on a race day! But I can definitely identify with the desire to get runs out of the way so you can enjoy family time or other plans…. all this dedication will pay off!

  4. Lindsey says:

    I’m not sure I’ve gotten up at 4:15 for anything, ever. Also, I definitely complained about it being 36 when I started my race on Saturday… I think I might really die if I tried in run in 14* weather. I don’t have enough clothes in my closet to keep my thin Southern blood warm at that temp!

  5. Terzah says:

    That’s how it gets done–sometimes you have to face the 4 a.m. wake-up call! We’re going up to the mountains this weekend, so I’ll be doing my long run on Friday (fortunately not as long as yours was)–same reason–I just want to hang out with my family over the weekend and not worry about doing the long run (especially since I don’t know the area we’re going to at all).

    Congrats on your anniversary, too!

  6. elizabeth says:

    wowzas! that is EARLY. and some serious dedication. and you weren’t kidding about the mask. sort of serial killer/bank robber. something about the mouth thing is super creepy. i miss you! can’t wait to catch up soon. maybe after this trip this week for you?? safe travels too.

    • Corey says:

      hahaha! That picture was just for you 🙂 And actually I can’t breathe through that mouth thing, so I wear it on my chin, which probably looks even more ridiculous.

  7. Pingback: 12 Reasons I am a Morning Runner |

  8. Pingback: Change of Heart |

Tell me what you think!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s