And then I tapered.

Since I didn’t start writing about my training until peak week, taper came really quickly 🙂 Well, at least in the context of blogging about it…

Actually, in truth, this training cycle has gone by pretty quickly overall. It might be related to the fact that I didn’t get serious about the bike until about 10 weeks out from the race. {Are you wondering why I would neglect my weakest sport for the first half of training? No good reason – I just don’t like the trainer much, but have a “too cold to bike” threshold of about 40 degrees. Chalk it up to “things I now know about training for a spring triathlon”.}

I began the week feeling completely dead, but I definitely started to see some recovery by the end. Overall there was still a decent amount of volume (double digit hours!), but even  the 25% reduction from peak weeks made a big difference by Saturday and Sunday.


  • Planned: OFF
  • Actual: OFF

The weekend’s workouts destroyed me. I was exhausted and my legs burned just walking up the stairs in my house. I normally take Friday’s off, but knew that taking a rest day after peak weekend was the right thing to do.


  • Planned: 5x1k @ HMP + 2600 Swim
  • Actual: 7.5M w/1k @ 4:34, 4:34, 4:32, 4:32, 4:30 + 2480 m Swim

I originally planned to use my 70.3 1/2 marathon goal pace as the target (like I did in 2012), but decided to see how my legs were feeling and push them slightly harder by using my stand-alone 1/2 goal pace (7:20). My breathing and heart rate felt good – solid, but my legs definitely felt tired. It was good to get some turnover though and be back at the track (in the rain). And I was very grateful that I wasn’t planning to do these at my *normal* 1k pace (4:03-04).

I went to the pool after work and happily jumped in the lane with my friend, Brady. We chatted a bit about training and upcoming races before I got started. I was about 1200 m into the workout when the lifeguards started taking the lane ropes out to switch the pool from meters to yards to make room for water polo practice. It was slightly annoying, because I prefer swimming in meters, but I was happy that my hard 100’s in my last set (10×100 alternating hard/easy) were consistently at 1:15.


  • Planned: 1:15 Ride w/28′ Tempo + Bike (re) Fit
  • Actual: 24M @ 19.3 mph w/10M tempo @ 20.8 mph

It was foggy and cool (seriously, still wearing arm warmers in May?!) but at least it wasn’t raining! My legs have definitely recovered a little from the weekend, but I could tell in the tempo portion that I still have some lingering fatigue.

I had a 3D bike fit back in March, which slightly improved my level of comfort on the bike, but it still wasn’t quite right. I went back to see Tim again to see if we could make some adjustments to make me less miserable after mile 30. He tilted the saddle down and moved it forward slightly and made some adjustments to the pads on the aero bars. Fingers crossed this does the trick.


  • Planned: Brick: 1:10 Ride/20′ Tempo Run + 2600 Swim
  • Actual: 23.2M @ 19.1 mph/2.83M @ 7:05 min/mile + 2600 yd Swim

I went to bed at 8:30 on Wednesday night, so the 5:30 alarm didn’t hurt much at all 🙂 It was damp and foggy again. I didn’t push the pace on the ride, but I tried to pick up the effort for the last 3-4 miles to see how I would feel running off the bike. The first mile was tough! My heartrate was through the roof. But I settled in pretty well after that and even felt like I was holding back a little in low 7’s for the last mile or so.

I met Ashley at the pool after work (yay for swimming buddies!) and we did a whole bunch of 50’s and some pulling with paddles. The pool was set up in yards again for water polo practice so the intervals felt speedy, even though I still am not feeling super recovered yet.


  • Planned: 1:30 Foundation Ride
  • Actual: 27M @ 18.2 mph

Meh. When I got on the bike, I just wasn’t feeling it. I wasn’t tired or especially fatigued, I just didn’t really feel like riding. It was another foggy, misty day (seriously, where is the SUN?) and I started feeling a bit uncomfortable in the saddle pretty early. It got better as the ride went on, but I was glad to be off and done with workouts for the day.

I went to see Tim again that afternoon to make a few more adjustments. I was so sore (sit bones, soft tissue, etc.) that it was hard to tell, but it felt like we might have found the sweet spot for the saddle. No more chances to test it out, so here’s to hoping…


  • Planned: 8M Run + 2600 Swim
  • Actual: 8M @ 8:03 avg.

I woke up naturally around 7:30 and headed out for my run at 8ish. It was warm (finally!) and the sun felt really good. I took Walter with me for the first 3 miles then headed out to finish up. My goal was to average in the low 8’s (ideally my race pace this weekend), but I also wanted to stay completely relaxed and make sure that I wasn’t pushing too hard to affect my recovery. It was an almost perfect run. I felt really, really good and was happy to finally see some life back in the legs.

FullSizeRender (91)

After the run, I packed up my bike and all race stuff that was in Virginia Beach and headed to Richmond. Once I got there, I put on my race tires, cleaned my bike and did some final bike prep before packing it up, along with my tri bag to drop off for Tri Bike Transport. The closest place they were picking up was just outside of DC, at Bonzai Sport in Falls Church, so I made the 1:45ish drive up that afternoon and said goodbye until I see it again in Chatt! By the time I finished everything and got back, the pool was closed, which was fine because all I wanted to do was eat dinner and chill.


  • Planned: 2:00 Ride
  • Actual: 36M @ 18.4 mph

I met a group out at Laurel Park at 10 a.m. and rode a similar route to the week before. I headed out with the B+ group, but we ended up splitting up after 10ish miles and I stuck with 3 guys that were pushing a pace a little. I felt good. So, so much better than the week before (we also didn’t hit all of the climbs). This was a good confidence booster – finally riding without trashed legs.

I contemplated swimming in the afternoon, but decided to just hang with Brad and dogs instead. We went grocery shopping, did some yard work, took a nap and went for a nice long walk after dinner.


  • Swim: 4860 meters (shorter than planned)
  • Bike: 110 miles
  • Run: 18.5 miles
  • Time: 10 hours, 15 minutes


About Corey

I am a 30-something swim, bike, run addict married to my best friend and in love with my two schnoodle doggies.
This entry was posted in bike, Goals, Races, running, swimming, training, triathlon, Weather, weekly recap. Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to And then I tapered.

  1. Hi! I found your blog on Love it. I recently wrote a post about rest-day guilt and I thought of that when I read your post about wanting to do something on a Monday but “knowing” that a day off after a peak week is needed. Why is that so hard? Anyway – just saying hi. Did you already have your race?

Tell me what you think!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s